Saturday, January 2, 2010

Deere Green

The paint on my tractor was starting to peel away in sheets.  This is partially due to a known defect in that model's paint process, and partially being in high humidity.  I decided to tackle the problem by removing all the sheet metal.


 

 

I had thought that powder coating would be too expensive; a technique I wrongly thought was for exotic cars and high performance parts.  Turns out that it's the only method that can be used in big cities as wet painting involves a lot of solvents that end up in the air.   It cost only $300 to have everything double coated.  For items like the front grill with it's thousands of perforations, is ideal for powder coating.

 

For the footrests, I painted them myself with truck bed liner.  Really nice solution that is tough, non-slip and repairable.


 

 




For the footrests, I painted them myself with truck bed liner. Really nice solution that is tough, non-slip and repairable.

At the same time I had to rebuild one of the backhoe hydraulic arms. Since I had it apart, I decided to paint it. I also added a rubbing strip. The metal armor plate used to ride metal on metal up the arm leaving a rusty trial. I couldn't believe it was designed that way.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments welcome.