Sunday, October 3, 2010

Franklin Stove Restoration

This is another project that has been sitting in the barn for 5 years.  Found on the property, partially disassemnbled, it nonetheless seemed to have a ll its major parts.  I didn't know it was a Franklin stove until someone happened  to remark on it.   I was excited because an original Franklin in good shape has some value.  I was disappoointed to learn that this one is not an antique, but part of a flood of Asian reproductions that flooded the market in the 1970s and 80s during the energy crunch.


Parts.  Some painted others cleaned and waiting.  
Cleaning is best done by sand blasting, but after I found out it wasn't an antique I decided to clean it myself (more time, less money).  I used Marine Clean and Metal Ready, the most amazing metal prep solutions I've ever used.  Then painted with POR-15 on the hearth and mantle and Stove Bright for the rest.  All the nuts and bolts were replaced with stainless steel.


Like the original "Mayflower" design that this is patterned after it improbably rests on 3 feet.

I had envisioned it as an outdoor fireplace and so it shall be in Portland.


I assembled it in the driveway for its test firing (needed to cure the paint). 

Now dissassembly, transport and final install in Portland.  Of course, there is the patio and pergola to build first.

27 comments:

  1. how hard was the disassembling and re-?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one too but it came with my home. My home was built in 1971. How can you tell if it’s an original?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much do they usually go for? The pricing

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's absolutely awesome I have found one like this online and was trying to purchase it because it reminded me of one that I had in the home that I grew up in it was something that I thought that I might have been able to make a little money buying and selling it didn't work out for me but it led me to see that somebody else is getting the opportunity to do stuff like this and it helped me get an education on the product so in the end it kind of worked out better for me thank you for sharing your project you did a great job restoring it thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks very nice, Can you use it indoor? This is a large firebox, Can I install fire bridge on bottom and around so I can use it indoor?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a very good job. Do you think this wood stove can be used safety in door?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It’s looking very nice. How can I find some one to check my Franklin wood stove in Houston area?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments welcome.