Saturday, October 2, 2010

This is Insane

I'm restoring an old (but not antique) Franklin stove.  I discover, via the Web, that a highly recommended paint is Stove Bright from Forest Paint Company.  Also via the Web I find it $5 a can cheaper.  I need 5 cans and shipping is $10 so I save $15.  The 5 cans of paint travel 3,000 miles to get to me...



... BUT THE FOREST PAINT COMPANY IS LOCATED
JUST DOWN THE ROAD  IN EUGENE, OREGON!

Yes, I did try to buy from the factory directly (they have a store, but don't ship.  Yes, I did try to find a local dealer, but only one, out-of-the-way stove shop had it.

I understand completely how shipping 5 cans of paint 3000 miles out and 3000 miles back can be the low cost solution and make economic sense. It may be the road to economic prosperity, but is also assuredly the road to environmental poverty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments welcome.