Sunday, March 18, 2012

SONY NEX OVERHEATING: Final Tests

I've collected more data than is shown here, but this sort of sums it up.  For analysis see my follow-up posting.

SD VERSUS MEMORY STICK &
BATTERY VERSUS AC



Click on image to enlarge.
Basically this graph shows that my NEX-5N runs cooler on AC and on Sony's best 32 GB memory stick.  Even so, the effect on continuous recording time is small.


TRYING VARIOUS TECHNIQUES TO REDUCE TEMPERATURE

I separated out this chart to enlarge it.  All the effects on surface temperature are quite small and can only be seen when zoomed in.

Heat sink refers to the arrangement pictured here.  The back label is removed, replaced by the thickest 3M thermal PSA AVAILABLE and topped with two heat sinks that cover the entire area under the LCD.




Click to enlarge



This graph shows that even the most drastic approach results in only small and temporary temperature reductions.  On the Sony support forums it is suggested to turn "Steady Shot" off.  In my testing on my camera this too made little or no difference.

Indeed, the only way that I was able to stabilize the camera's temperature was by placing it on a frozen gel pack.








9 comments:

Your comments welcome.